Parenting Wisely American Teen
Nine typical problem situations are presented including: doing household chores, stepparent-youth relationships, monitoring "troublesome" friends, improving poor school performance, sibling fighting, and complying with parental requests (phone use and music volume) and more. Both effective and ineffective solutions are depicted for each problem followed by comprehensive critiques and explanations of the parenting and communication skills viewed.
Parenting Wisely is evidence based and has proven effective
- significantly reducing verbal and physical aggression between teens and parents (and between spouses and partners!)
- significantly reducing the frequency and severity of teen/preteen problem behaviors
- significantly increasing knowledge of and implementation of effective parenting skills
- improving and strengthening family relationships
- self-paced, and totally narrated (no literacy barrier)
- allows parents to view common family problems enacted in video scenes
- provides multiple solutions critiquing both effective and ineffective parenting methods
- teaches valuable communication and behavior management skills including: Contracting, Assertive Discipline, "I" Statements, Supervision of Schoolwork and Peers, Positive Role-Modeling, and more…
- requires no therapist/facilitator
- removes the social "stigma" of attending group parenting classes
- includes a comprehensive parent workbooks (100 pages) with all solution critiques, review questions, a glossary of terms, sample behavior charts, practice exercises, and more!
Parenting Wisely has been named an "exemplary" program by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP), a "model" program by The Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP) and listed as an evidence-based program by the National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP)and a "best practices" program by the Center for the Application of Prevention Technologies (WCAPT).